6 Reasons Why Your Social Media Marketing Isn’t Working
Are you posting to your social media pages and not getting any traction or not seeing the results you want? Do you spend a lot of money or time on social media yet customers continue adding products to their shopping cart and not checking out? The following 6 tips can help you increase customer engagement, grow your followers, and convert likes into paying customers.
1. Posting without a strategy
Are you planning what and when you post? Do you review the analytics of previous posts and see what worked well and what didn’t? Every business needs a social media strategy. The end goal could be to increase brand awareness. For some, it would be to grow sales. For others, the goal could be to develop long-term relationships. Develop a strategy with your end goal in mind. Understand who you want to target, how much time you want to dedicate, and what products and/or services you want to promote. Remember, for some businesses, 80% of sales come from 20% of customers.
2. Posting at the wrong time
Facebook has an excellent analytical tool to help you understand when your followers are online. You can view the number of users online for each hour each day of the week. If most of your users are online at 6 pm on Wednesday, you want to ensure that you have posts scheduled during that time even if you’re not open.
3. Posting at the wrong place
Are you trying to reach young millennials? You may do better with Instagram or Snapchat than Facebook. Although Facebook is the largest social network, you may still need to spend some time on other networks like YouTube, Instagram, Snapchat, Pinterest, and Twitter.
4. Posting without visuals
The highest performing posts contain photos, videos, or animated GIFs. If you’re posting long articles or the text is longer than the height of your image, consider enhancing your post with eye-catching images or video.
5. Posting all about you
Are all your posts about your business or products? Are you always trying to sell? You may be turning off customers who avoid the hard sell. Apply Pareto’s 80:20 rule when posting: 20% of the posts should be about you and the remaining 80% should be value-added content like tips, industry news, helpful resources, events, or celebrating the accomplishments of partners, employees, or others in your community. Naturally, you will need to adjust this ratio to fit your strategy from month to month.
6. Posting without advertising
Finally, social media sites have some of the most advanced advertising tools to help your target the right potential customers. Have you ever looked a product on a website and return to Facebook only to see ads for the exact product you were viewing? Some examples of advanced targeting include people who view your website, people who open your emails, and previous customers. Social media advertising starts a $1 per day and depending on your target audience, you may not need to spend more than $50 for a single campaign.
This list is just the tip of the iceberg. There are a lot of great resources available online to help you make the most of your social media. If you need help developing a strategy or need someone to take your social media to the next level, contact us for a free 15-minute consultation. This will help you decide if we are the right fit for each other. We offer a variety of products and services to fit your needs. Our social media marketing packages start at $450/month and full Internet marketing starts at $1,500/month. If you need help keeping your website updated, we also offer website management services. You focus on your business and we focus on your online presence. There are no long-term contracts. You keep working with us until you feel like you don’t need us anymore. Sounds good? Cool, let’s go!